Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Feels so good

I just got out of the shower. Ahhhhhh! There’s nothing like not showering for 4 days and then scrubbing yourself clean in a hot shower. It’s as if I can feel my skin breathing again and my hair feels light and bouncy and my hands are back to their tan shade. This sensation is overpowering all my senses, it’s so strong. I’m not hungry any more or tired or needing anything. I am just enjoying this feeling, sitting outside my hostel room, in the sun with my eyes closed. Soon enough the desert will wrap itself around me again. But isn’t it great to get to the point where you can appreciate mundane activities. Like when you really have to pee, and then you do. Or you’re really thirsty, and you drink. Or you’re tired, and you finally lay down. The pleasure of not being uncomfortable is worth the it all. But you can only appreciate it if you get to feeling uncomfortable. If you feel fine all the time, you stop appreciating it. Like the time I stubbed my little toe really badly. Before that moment, I wasn’t even aware of my little toe. Then, after the stubbing, it’s all I could feel. When it finally healed, I vowed to never take my toes for granted. But, after a day or two, I forgot they existed again. Today, though, I’m all about this tingly fresh sensation!

1 comment:

Jennifer Haase said...

Um...lately, I only shower every 4 days, too. haha!! (wait, I'm not kidding...) Two very different kinds of isolation and simple existence between here and there, and yet....not so different at all, I find. My life is chock full of luxuries that I never even noticed, but I'm beginning to notice them now. Thank you for that!

Luxury is sometimes another word for waste. I live more simply right now, too.

And I LOVE the kind of food you are eating! Reminds me of a wonderful Ethiopian restaurant in Harlem where we eat off anormous platters with spongy bread scooping up the delicious mush. YUM!

Please learn how to make it all and then feed me when you return, ya hear? :)