Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Feeling Good with the Family

I just wanted to add a little post tonight. Communication has improved and I really feel like we're finding our rhythm here with the family. The father talked with the family and explained we are also working at the camp and so, as women tend to do, they immediately showed compassion and now we all work together to keep the house in order, rather than just us helpers. Tonight, Bailey and I ate dinner with the whole clan plus a few relatives, making it 13 around the platter on the floor, squishing rice and chicken in our hands. Then, me and Bailey and the two eldest daughters cleaned the kitchen at lightening speed. Everyone is smiling!

3 comments:

stonerose said...

Hi Stephanie I am glad you are getting along better with the other women now that aunt flow has left until next month :) Hopefully it will continue to get easier to communicate with the mother.
I have really enjoyed reading about your and Bailey's time there in Wadi. Thanks for sharing with us. Why did you leave France? Could you not have found a job there, or did you feel a need to get away from your aunt? Just curious.
I have used bathrooms like you're using, but not shared them with a whole village! How nasty! Amazing what one can get used to HUH? The blankets must be cosy. I love laying under a pile of blankets when it is cold out. I cannot imagine 30 pounds of them.
Thanks for the photos the place looks so beautiful
Love Rose

Stephanie said...

Hi Rose,
It's great to hear from you! To answer your questions, I was working in France for a few months doing temp work (by the way, work is VERY hard to come by in France!), but our car was burned to the ground in Florence, Italy and so I had no more transportation to and from work. My money would not have supported us for another 5 months, so we decided to do some volunteer work in exchange for room and board. We wanted to do something really out of the ordinary and found this great opportunity. It has been an amazing adventure and we are both growing so much as a result. Still can't get used to the bathrooms though!

Jennifer Haase said...

communication rocks! how wonderful to have new understanding and closeness with the women of your camp, stephanie. Me thinks there will be tears shed by all by the time you and Bailey have to leave again.