Thursday, February 14, 2008

Like Camel


There's a man living in the desert valley, about 1 km outside of rum. I first saw him from my camel's back. He was sitting crosslegged in the sand like a buddha. I thought maybe it was a tourist in meditation. But who would pick that spot? Some random sandy dune? As we rode out of sight, I kept looking back and watched him fade into the distance, motionless in his long white robe.
"Mohammed", I asked "who's the man in the desert?"
"He's crazy man. Lives in desert. He has family in Rum. They give him food."
Oh. Hmm. "Is he scary crazy or just slow?" I asked.
Mohammed then put his hands to the side of his face, like blinders, and said, "No dangerous. Just... like camel!".
That answered my question. If you know camels, they're stubborn, ornery and not too bright. They love just sitting in the desert sun too. I saw him thismorning outside the house. He was headed out of town with a loaf of bread under his arm, as seen in the picture. To us humans, he's just the village idiot. But perhaps he's wiser than we know, sitting out there where Moses himself lived alone and contemplated God.

1 comment:

Jennifer Haase said...

Oh I LOVE this. Finding insight from the village idiot's view. Finding God where others might not. Beautiful.