Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Muddy Sandals

I've returned from possibly my last picnic in the Luberon hills here in Provence. Bailey and I have been here since mid October, staying with my eccentric aunt Jacqueline. We've been going on these hikes almost every day that we have been here, first hiking down to the stream by way of an ancient spring, then slowly huffing and puffing it up through the hills covered in thyme and stunted pines. Some of the time, we're hiking on an old Roman road. Centuries of rolling cartwheels have dug into the road, making perfect gutters for rainfall to run down. It's been raining at night, so there's lots of mud around, and the moss makes a squishy sound when you walk on it. Today, we hiked up and had a picnic of "craquante" bread, kiri cheese, mandarine oranges, and 2 chocolate cookies. No bugs around. No sounds other than the wind in the trees and maybe a bird here and there. When you look up in the sky though, there are half a dozen jet trails crisscrossing the sky. Up until seeing the jets, I'm present, I'm here in Provence. But as soon as I see those white lines cutting the blue sky, I'm off.

Happens every time. I used to be a flight attendant, so I know there are hundreds of people in those dot airplanes. They each have a story, going to, coming back from, happily, sadly, indifferently.. some place too far to drive to. And I'm going to be one of those people in two days. I've already cleaned up my room and set aside my backpack. I've gotten all my finances in order. Yet, I still feel cluttered. Most of it is guilt, I think. I feel guilty for not having "saved" my aunt from herself. Instead, I think I've made it worse.

So, I'm off to clean my mind and my soul. We're headed for Jordan Friday morning. Going to live in the desert for 3 months with a Bedouin family. I fantasize about seeing God in a burning bush. Maybe I'll get some answers there, maybe not. But, as the French say, I've got to go over there to see if I'm there.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks Big Blog Collection. You're encouragement is invaluable!

Jennifer Haase said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I cannot believe what wonderful writers the Theado Girls are, wow...just WOW. Stephanie, welcome to the Blog World and I congratulate you on a gorgeous first entry that finds me wanting to write, reflect, explore and delight in the tangible things that surround me, too. Your hikes, your picnic, your revelations about your Auntie connection...it all resonates and you describe, explain, express with real and sentimental girl depth that inspires me, too.

Onward to the land of burning bushes! Go shake the sugar tree and see what kinda new love for life falls all over you. :)

luv from bovina,
jennifer

xling said...

I wanted to post in your most recent blog...but seeing how it was only done because of the big blog collection, i didn't wanna fill it with comments pertaining to this blog entry ><''

That picture looks pretty awesome. Is that you or possibly Bailey walking in the road? The sepia tone really match the mood perfectly.

I love hiking as well, I remember having to practically climb up a hill during my camping during the summer. My knees were pretty much touching my chest because of the incredibly incline of the hill. It was such a strenuous job, walking up but incredibly running down ^^

It sounds like you had a great time...

I don't think you're a bad person or being selfish for feeling the need to leave your auntie. For the time being, having someone put negativity into your life, it puts a lot of stress on your mind and body. Getting away to get a breather, I say would be a wonderful thing for yourself. Whatever the reason may be as to why she likes to nick pick at every little thing you and Bailey does, that doesn't give her the right to surround your world with her negativity. It's not really fair.

I hope you the best with traveling and I do hope you can gain a peace of mind once you reach your destination.

Emily ohhhsweetturkey said...

Best of luck Stephanie and Bailey. I have wanderlust as well. I also at times feel guilty leaving family behind but follow your heart. Not everyone has the curiosity or courage to go. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences. Keep up the blog. smile