Friday, March 14, 2008

Sand Castles


When I was little, I loved making sand castles. My bucket would be the castle form and then I would always try to dig out the insides as far as possible without having it collapse. I imagined the spiral stairs and the cavernous rooms inside. Well, today, I found my imagination in reality. I found Abu Simbel. This is a temple carved out of a sandy mountain along the Nile by Ramses II for his queen Nefratari. The entrance is collosal, with 4 gigantic sitting figures on each side of the massive entryway. The door faces the sunrise and we arrived at 7AM, so we were able to experience the beauty of having natural light stream into the temple rooms. I cannot imagine how simple men scooped out enough mountain to make rooms with 18 foot ceilings and then engrave heiroglyphs and paintings on every surface inside. 4000 year old paint is still there on the walls. And although the crowd of tourists was a bit overwhelming, Bailey and I managed to find ourselves alone in one of the rooms at one point. These are always special moments, and the sand castle was ours for a minute, letting us inhabit it as our own and feel like queens. As we walked out, squinting towards the sun and the Nile, I felt proud of being human, for once, knowing we are capable of making amazing beautiful things.

5 comments:

Jennifer Haase said...

How delightful, your canvas...watching you fill it with such gloriously grateful awareness...well....I am so moved. This scene is another of the many you paint that finds me soaking in my own distant experience of it. thank you so much for that.

Melissa said...

My father lived in Egypt for a time during his many years abroad, and I always wished I could have visited the places he had been.

I'm so thrilled to be able to read these accounts of your journey. It's almost like being there!

Please keep them coming! :)

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. I think I appreciate my experiences more because of this blog and hearing that it is interesting to others keeps me writing. Thanks again!

Tom Theado said...

It sounds like you and Bailey are having a wonderful trip. Not many people get this experience. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Tom

Melissa said...

That picture is amazing!